Tanmaya Vichara Marga

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Feeling the last stretch and some weekday viewings

Just when I though I was getting my hands and brains around all the post production nuance...bam!!! I had to face a curve ball that caught me totally off guard. If you are an indie filmmaker shooting on digital and more so, on any high def platforms, brace yourself. You will be better off getting a quick education in the following domains.
  • MPEG4 versus MPEG2 encoding @26,000 bit rate as opposed to 10,000
  • Lossless compression and it correlation to audio/video data sampling
  • ISO standards for DVD imaging
That's just the tip of the iceberg. It absolutely makes sense to have a video compression and encoding geek on your production team. And so, welcome Gandharv! You will be my chief technologist.

Last night, we mastered a DVD for Orange after several iterations. We are doing a focus group screening on sunday (June 11, 2006) at the Emory University. Please feel free to email me for invitations.

Between having my heads down on getting Orange out on DVD and pre-production work for my next short and keeping up with my day job routine, I managed to catch up on the following 'food for thought' movies.

Mimì metallurgico ferito nell'onore a.k.a The Seduction of Mimi (Italy)
Released in 1972, this is an uncharacteristic offering from an Italian filmmaker - most tend to have a special parallel focus on imagery and abstract lighting, trail blazed by Fellini. Mimi is the story of a dockworker who invites the wrath of the mafia in Sicily and hence has to flee up north. What follows is a satire of his life - adulterous romance, more mafia evasion and a rollicking climax ala a Hrishikesh Mukerjee classic.

Terra Estrangeira a.k.a Foreign Land (Brazil, Portuguese)
This 1996 film is shot in black and white and has a spaghetti western narration style replete with Bossanova meets bluegrass music score. Set in the back drop of a financial turmoil during the presidential regime (1990- 92) of Fernando Collor. Fernando froze all savings accounts - a move that triggered a mass migration of Brazilians to Europe . The story, however, is about how fate (aided by migration) brings two people together each going through personal grief and struggle.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations Giri, wish you all the best with Orange, Knots Urbane and everything else you do next! I hope I can get a chance to catch your directorial debut. Its good to see you blogging again after a long hiatus - Ravish

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations Giri, wish you all the best with Orange, Knots Urbane and everything else you do next! I hope I can get a chance to catch your directorial debut. Its good to see you blogging again after a long hiatus - Ravish

     

Post a Comment

<< Home