Tanmaya Vichara Marga

Friday, June 16, 2006

Bring on some more Brit Rock !!!!

I have heard many self-proclaimed Yankees and Dookies (with no pun intended to Green day fans) say if you have heard Coldplay, you have heard em all – those “brit trash bands”. Granted!! Coldplay tends to sound monochromatic a bit, but what I most love Coldplay for, is their poetry set to music.

I am dazzled by the plethora of raw talent from underground bands in the UK. Just when you thought you got enough of Kaiser Chiefs and Franz Ferdinand, there are bands like Plastik. I can’t seem to put my finger on the alternative genre they play – somewhere between a neo-punk rock revivalist and classic grunge. Listen to their “Dead Star” and the ballad like “Bring me the head of Robert Howard”. My favorite is “London, you owe me this much”- acoustic guitar opulence; reminds me of Clapton’s Tears in Heaven.

Got a big high this week listening to this quartet called Devotchka – a Denver based band. Their influences are drawn from East European gypsy to Salsa and Meringue. They are playing at the earl this weekend and I can’t wait to see their orchestral rendition (Violin and the works) of “Queen of the Surface”.

What turned out to be an ipod download and drain was RHCP’s Stadium Arcadium. But for the album’s title song, everything else sounded like a repackaged repertoire.

So what’s with the surge in my interest levels for indie alternative bands – well I am looking for one for my next short film, Love and Lingerie. The mood and pace of the film is going to be driven by punk rock meets symphonic orchestration.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    2 words: Shibuya Crossings!! Very new band, but heaps of potential!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home